Founded in 1998, Tencent Holdings Limited is the largest internet company in China. It has market capitalization of HK$574 billion (S$ 93.65 billion, July 2013) Tencent provides diverse services, including social networks, web portals, e-commerce, multiplayer online games, and last but not least, instant messaging on desktop and mobile. Its instant messenger, QQ, has 798 million active users, and has a peak concurrent user count of 176 million as of December 31, 2012.
Tencent has a strong R&D establishment with over half of its employees working on product development as well as IT research. In 2007, it invested more than 100 million Chinese Yuan to set up the Tencent Research Institute, with campuses in Beijing, Shanghai, and Shenzhen.
The ROSE Lab’s collaboration with Tencent focuses on the following areas:
- Mobile Visual Search
- 2D visual object search
- Landmark search platform
- eCommerce visual database & visual search system
- Visual object classification for auto-annotation of social media pictures
- Face Recognition
- Collecting face image datasets
- Accurate face recognition for social media applications
- Cloud High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC)
- Encoding rate control accuracy
- Encoding speed
- Perceptual video quality
- Parallel processing for GPU-based encoding acceleration